Have you wanted to learn more about your connection as an uri of Te Atiawa to our tupuna mounga, Koro Taranaki? This online series is for you!
During February and March 2022, Te Kotahitanga o Te Atiawa delivered a series on online wānanga. Our panel of hosts discussed a variety of topics including our history, our whakapapa connection, tikanga, karakia and waiata that relate to our mounga. We discussed the Taranaki Maunga Settlement process and what this means for all of us as uri and we looked into the future to talk about our shared aspirations and vision of what we want our mokopuna to experience.
Topics discussed include:
– A reflection on our history
– Te haerenga mai o Pukeonaki | The journey of our tupuna
– Te Kāhui Mounga | Who are the people of the Kāhui mounga
– Tokomaru | The arrival of Tokomaru waka, the cargo and our people of Tokomaru
– our hapū make up
– what our rohe looked like historically and how it looks today, as well as
– providing answers to some of the pātai asked in our first wānanga.
– our hekenga,
– ngā wāhi o te Mounga / place names on the mounga,
– nga whakataukitanga (guiding principles) when negotiating the mounga settlement, as well as
– providing answers to some of the questions asked by whānau in our previous wānanga.
– a short recap on our last three wānanga,
– restoration work on Te Papakura o Taranaki from the Taranaki Mounga Project,
– uri share their aspirations for our tupuna maunga.
– a short recap on our last four wānanga, and
– an update on the Taranaki Maunga negotiations.
The series was delivered via Zoom and hosted by Jamie Tuuta, Liana Poutu, Te Poihi Campbell and Hemi Sundgren. With guest panelists Anaru Wilkie, Damon Ritai, Sera Gibson and Mitchell Ritai.
Keep an eye on our website for more online wānanga and special events where we celebrate our Te Atiawatanga.