A proposal for the future of the Waitara Endowment Lands is currently being progressed between New Plymouth District Council (NPDC) and Te Kotahitanga Board with input from our Waitara hapū.
The following information is set out for members of Te Atiawa following a unanimous vote by councilors of New Plymouth District Council to begin a public consultation process.
Key points of the proposal are:
- The Council transferring the title to 40ha of Waitara endowment land to Te Atiawa, comprising 34ha managed as park and grazing land on the seaward side of Battiscombe Terrace (including Marine Park and the Marine Park Motor Camp) and the 6ha Clifton Park.
- Management and control of the land would remain with the Council, and existing public access and recreational uses would be preserved.
- The establishment of a separate legal entity that would include 50% representation by Te Atiawa, to have responsibility for applying the share of income and sale proceeds from the Waitara endowment land for the benefit of the Waitara community.
- The Council giving Te Atiawa a first right of refusal to purchase part of Ranfurly Park and part of the Waitara Golf Course if the Council resolves to sell these lands at any time.
- Te Atiawa supporting the Council’s ability to offer leaseholders the option to freehold their properties.
- Ensuring Taranaki Regional Council’s interest are accommodated.
Te Kotahitanga has also developed a set of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for further clarification, which can be found by clicking here.
Public Documents and Submissions are now open and will close on 20 May 2016. Further information on the proposal and submission process can be found through the following Links;
- Council Consultation Documents – click here
- Link to Council Decision Paper- click here
- Media Articles and Related Links
- Press Releases
- Media Articles
For more information on making a submission follow the links below;